Saturday, October 4, 2008
When Animals Attack
Of all the animals I encounter as I make my way up and down the mountain, there's a hierarchy in terms of the danger they represent. Dogs, monkeys, goats, chickens, ducks...this is the order I've put them in in my mind. Until this morning when I was attached by a duck! Yes, a DUCK! He couldn't do much damage to my ankles really, with his rounded bill, but I have no idea how I provoked his ire. On the other side of the globe, in an exotic third world setting, and I'm maligned by a mallard. Seriously?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi Janelle! I'm so glad Kerry gave me the link to your blog. I read it every night while I'm at work and you are keeping me truly entertained. You are a very brave soul! In honor of you I promise to partake in one of your most missed foods at least twice a week- most likely a smoothie since I don't like seaweed! Beware the ducks!!! Kim Murphy
Hi Janelle,
This reminds me of the turkey who attacked Johnjohn in Ethiopia! Remember? What is with these dirty birds? Maaybe the duck thought your feet were something to eat?
I'm over my cold/cough, and today Dad wants me to take the written test that is the first hurdle to pass before being able to drive the Vesta which is now in and which Dad hopes to take hope by the end of the week. A member of the church who has a license and a Honda scooter volunteered to "supervise us" for the driving part. such fun. love Mom
Gosh, thanks for bringing that up again, Mom. And just when the nightmares were beginning to subside... ;-)
Janelle, I can't believe you were lucky enough to encounter the rare & endangered NEPALESE ANKLE-BITER! Serious bird-watchers wait YEARS for just one such sighting!
This unusual bird is known for stalking its prey for days and then ambushing it and poking its ankles until it falls down in submission. After that, well, it's just too gruesome to describe.
Remember, it's just a duck, Janelle. As in AFLAC. I wouldn't worry about the animals without teeth.
jellybean ...you are me hero and your blog is my best entertainment of each day....i sincerely hope that i do get this comment to you ...we are all sad about the chi-town teams but we know that y are the winner....love, dadjones
Hi Janelle,
I asked Thomas how you were doing at the first reading of Lillian Helman's Autumn Garden. He sent me your blog address and I've been enjoying reading about your adventures this morning. What an experience! Thanks for sharing.
We met at the Eclipse party at Cheri's house.
It's a little after 8am in Chicago with a beautiful clear sky, 50 degrees, and a soft breeze blowing through my window. I have my own foot warmer, Trevor the Golden Retriever, curled at my feet.
Best wishes,
Beth Lacey
I just love that mom called it a VESTA
it's a Vespa mom. sheeesh.
I am catching up on all your blogs. Love it.
I remember a day you said you HATED putting any pictures or stories of anything on the web and would NEVER have a blog.
love it.
miss u!!
Post a Comment