BUTTERFLIES: Back home in Chicago, seeing a butterfly is a happy surprise. Here, the butterflies are ubiquitous. They vary widely in color and size and although most are small and delicate with wings like tissue paper, I’ve seen a few that are big enough to take on a hummingbird.
NAMASTE: This is the traditional greeting of the Nepalese people (as well as some other Asian cultures) and it translates as, “I bow to the god in you,” which is quite a lovely way to be greeted if you think about it. You can say it coming or going and if your hands are free, you bring them together just below your chin, palms together, and bow your head as you say, “Namaste”. I pass quite a few people on my way up and down the mountain, averaging a dozen or so “Namaste” exchanges, but my favorite ones are with the toddlers. I can see them looking at me with a bit of wonder as I approach, me in my sunglasses with my white skin and light hair, and when I greet them their lax lips invariably turn up at the corners, their tiny hands flutter underneath their chins and they squeak out their own “Namaste” back to me. It’s more charming than words can do justice to.
PEMA: He is the little monk I wrote about earlier in my blog. We haven’t progressed very far conversationally, but along with playing ball we’ve now added coloring with pencils to our repertoire. He has a delightful and mischievous smile and quite an imagination.
SPECIAL PUJAS: Besides the special Puja for the animals during Dasain, there was a special Puja the other day for one of the monastery’s sponsors who is currently ill, and yesterday in Puja there was a special prayer for Joules, who recently lost her glasses. Tomorrow we’ll have a special Puja for the full moon...and the list goes on...
THE DOGS: I love the dog pack: the way they intimidate “intruders”, the way they greet me with tails wagging, the playful way they romp around the grounds and the gentle way they deal with the mini monks. In a world where so much of the time I have no idea if I’m successfully communicating, there’s never any question with the dogs.
THE VIEW: It’s quite extraordinary to be able to see 360 degrees of sky, the Himalayas and the whole of Katmandu Valley, all from a single vantage point.
THE INCENSE: There’s incense available at just about every store and stand and I’ve burned more than a few sticks, some great, some good, some so-so. Here at Osel Ling they make their own incense (a helicopter comes in routinely to deliver the herbs, specially selected from specific mountains and blessed by a multitude of lamas) and it is fantastic.
THE FRIDGE: Very glad to have a place to keep my stash of peanut butter, honey and a Coke light or two. Also great for storing breakfast bean soup for later use!
THE FLOWERS: There is a walkway from the monastery entrance to the temple and it’s lined with potted flowers and plants that are lovingly tended by the monks and constantly in bloom in a rainbow of bright colors. (Okay, not exactly a rainbow - mostly oranges, yellows, pinks and reds:))
SIMPLICITY: As much as I love my gadgets (as many of you know, I have more Apple products than I have fingers) and the comforts and conveniences of home (COLD TAB!!! And oh yes, warm showers, clean sheets, electricity...the list goes on) there is something very peaceful about living simply. There’s little if any time or energy spent on deciding what, where or when to eat, what to wear, or even what to do. My days here have a wonderful sameness: I teach/tutor, wash clothes, tidy my room, read, take walks, drink tea, crochet, play outside with the monks and the dogs and write this blog. That’s about it really. The challenges are many but the pace is relaxed, and that makes all the difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A lovely post, Janellleee. I am off to take care of grandbabies for 10 days but will read when I get back. Namaste ( I have always done that with my hands when taking a bow on stage. Don't know if you knew that.) xo Big JAne
Love princess----looks like the dog we rescued and gave to aunt jeanne fluffy #1
I am caught up with the entries and loved each one---I am jealous in a way at your adventure and so excited to see u and hear more stories, or just compare my fat butt to to your new skinny butt. :)
I'll e-mail you now.
love
sis
Post a Comment